Join us for "A Day at the Rancho!" on July 9th for music, natural wine, and amazing food. Click for tickets.

Madson, « Gamay noir »

placeholder image

Regular price $47.00

Unit price per 

Grapes : Gamay noir

Region : Santa Cruz, California 

Fining or Filtering: None 

Sulfur: None 

Notes from the Importer: 

2022 Sta. Rita Hills Gamay Noir, Sans Soufre

This Gamay Noir is sourced from the west Sta Rita Hills. The quality of wine coming out of the Sta. Rita Hills truly inspires. We attribute such quality to the transverse valley that funnels wind west to east from the Pacific Ocean. While frosts can be problematic here, the cool night time temperatures increase acidity and freshness. The vines are grown using organic practices on marine sedimentary rock with elevated calcium and silica content. This vineyard in particular has extremely high levels of chalk and diatomaceous earth. 12.6 % ABV, 180 cases produced 

We produce this wine using 100% whole clusters under complete carbonic conditions. The wine ferments spontaneously with native yeast. 75% of the wine ages in stainless steel to retain carbonic freshness while the remaining 25% ages in neutral oak barrels. Unfined and unfiltered. We bottle this wine “sans soufre” or without sulfur.  Please expect some solids and tartrates in the bottle. 

This Gamay shows bright fuchsia in the glass with an aroma resplendent of the color. Soft rose petal, Douglas Fir forest, and maitake on the nose. The palate for this wine includes hints of vanilla, elderberry, and persimmon. Pairs well with light charcuterie and an excellent work of fiction. 

Close (esc)


Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking below, you are verifying that you are of legal age to purchase alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now